Friday, May 27, 2016

The Need For A Savior

Romans 10:13

"Anyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved"

The fact that we need to be saved implies that we need to be rescued. What is it that we need rescuing from ? Ultimately we need rescuing from ourselves, our own sinful nature and spiritual darkness . As humans we have been created to have free will, and we can do with it as we please, but if there is anything I have learned is the need for a Savior.

I want to tell a little bit about my own personal life and why I know I need a Savior. For many years I had gone about living my life the way I have wanted to without caring about any consequences and pushing away any convictions I felt . I hated the feeling that I was doing something wrong but to drown it out I turned to drugs and fleshly desires. Those things would drown it out for a few minutes, and then I would be hit harder than I was before. It was a never ending cycle of self destruction, but even in my misery, I was determined to make that lifestyle work. I can't even begin to explain the sheer addiction to that life and even the addiction to just being miserable. That is how I lived for a very long time, but like many others, I hit rock bottom, not just once, but multiple times. Each time I tried to pick myself back up, and would get clean for a little while, then fall back into the same things that destroyed my life to begin with. Finally I realized just how much I needed saving. I had already turned to the world multiple times for help but I was still in bondage. I felt like there was no hope for a life free of the chains that were so tightly bound to me. Even if I was "clean and sober", I was restrained to a life full of meetings and 12 step programs and never really free from it. I was told that it was a disease and that theres really no way to be rid of it. I was told to identify myself as a drug addict. That alone was incentive for me to NOT want to quit, and just accept that I was going to be that way for the rest of my life. I mean really, what kind of life is that ? Its absolutely miserable, and its a big reason why I could never truly stay "clean and sober". When those things are drilled into your head then really whats the point ? I felt like no matter how hard I tried I was bound to fail because as I heard so many times before, "relapse is part of recovery". I wound up completely broken, lost and afraid. I lived each day hoping I would overdose and die so the neverending cycle of misery and failure would be broken. Finally, I decided I needed a change. I needed a true Savior. I have been told of this Savior multiple times before but was never convinced I needed saving, but this time was different. I dropped to my knees in surrender, and with tears streaming down my face I cried out to the one true Savior, Jesus Christ. I asked for forgiveness and put my life into His Hands, and I can't even tell you the amount of freedom I felt and the complete 180 my life has taken since then . Now I am free from the chains, free from the guilt, free from the shame, free from the identity of a addict, free from the demons that tormented me ; overall, free from the misery and darkness that haunted me day in and day out. In Christ I am free. In Christ I have hope and a future. In Christ I have a life of joy. I am a new creation in Him. Jesus has saved my life . Now I absolutely love my life and with Him I am equipped to fight against temptations that come my way and spiritual darkness. I live with a joy that I have never felt before and await the day that I will be in His presence in Heaven.

Because of the fall of man, we are all sinners. We all need the same kind of saving, and theres only One that has the ability to save us.

Application:
Tonight, I will pray for divine appointments and opportunities to share my testimony and the hope and Gospel of Jesus Christ, whom is my Lord and Savior, with others .

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible testimony...By the grace of God anything is possible! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete