Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Be a Centurion

IBS on Matthew 8:5-13
"Now when Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, pleading with Him, saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented" And Jesus said to him, "I will come and heal him." The centurion answered and said, "Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, 'Go' and he goes' and to another, 'Come' and he comes : and to my servant, 'Do this' and he does it. " When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed , Assuredly , I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel ! And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the Kingdom of Heaven. But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" Then Jesus said to the centurion, " Go on your way and as you have believed, so let it be done for you" And his servant was healed that same hour."

In these verses, a centurion, whom was a Roman and wouldnt normally speak to or follow Jesus, had called Him over and asked Him to heal his servant. Jesus answered him and told him He would go to his home and heal him. The centurion knew how worthy and how holy the Lord Jesus Christ is and believed that he is the true God and didnt think he was worthy enough to have Jesus step foot into his house. He humbled himself and his known stature, still acknowledging that Jesus is greater that everyone. He had so much faith in Him that he just told Jesus to speak the word and his servant would be healed. Jesus was amazed at this, and told everyone in the crowd how great this mans faith is, even though he was a Roman. He demonstrated greater faith than the Jews. And Jesus also said that there will be people of all types, no matter who they are, that will be saved and in heaven with Him. He also said those who do not believe will be cast out of the kingdom of heaven into hell. Then Jesus told the centurion to go back home and because of the great faith he had in Jesus, that His servant will be healed. The servant went home, and found that the servant had been healed in full.

We need to have faith like the centurion had. The centurion, although being a Roman, humbled himself and his stature and put Jesus above himself. He believed whole heartedly that Jesus had the power to heal his servant and because of his faith the servant was healed. It is important for us to have faith like the centurion had and trust and have faith in Him completley. It is also important for us to put God before us and truly die to self and let Him take complete control of our lives. This also spoke to me because Jesus is saying that no matter who you are, or what kind of past you have, if we repent we will all be with Him in the Kingdom of Heaven.


I will apply this to my life daily by trusting in the Lord completley and having faith in His plan and His will for my life.
Today I will humble myself and serve without any reservations in my heart.


My mom was the centurion in my life. I was the servant. I was spiritually paralyzed and tormented by the enemy and the evils of this world. My mother had complete faith and knew I was in God's Hands and prayed for me everyday, and now here I am, a new creation in Him.


Practical Application : Be a centurion. Pray for someone whom is lost and unsaved everyday. Have faith that they will come to know Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment