Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Rely On His Strength

Colossians One Eleven

"strenghthened with all might, according to His glorious power for all patience and longsuffering with joy"
This verse is part of Paul's prayer for the believers in Colosse. He is asking that they be filled with God's strength, and not use their own worldy strength. As believers, we will experience many trials and tribulations and If we are solely relying on our own strength to get through then we will fall into the enemys trap. On the other hand, if we are using God's strength then these trials and tribulations will have the opposite effect and grow us in Him for His glory.
I grew up in the church and knew the Lord at a young age. I had gone to a Christian school up until 8th grade and thought I was saved but now that I look back on it I was just going through the motions and didnt truly understand what Christ did for me. As I got older I fell deeper and deeper into sin and into the world. Eventually all my morals, values and self worth went out the window. At age 16 I was hit hard and sank into a deep depression. I hated myself and wanted to die. Instead of seeking God in my time of need I turned to the world. I started partying and drinking and after a few years I was addicted to drugs. I struggled for 7 years with my drug use trying to find a way out. I was in and out of rehabs, long term IOP (Intensive Outpatient Programs) and 12 step meetings. None of these worldly things worked. I couldnt take it anymore, my worldly strength couldn't break me out of my addiction. Finally, after hitting rock bottom multiple times, completley broken and tired of fighting I surrendered my life back to the Lord and with His strength I was able to pull myself out of my addiction. If I had continued to try and do it the worldy way I would of had to continue attending the 12 step meetings for the rest of my life always in bondage to my addiction , but through Jesus I have broken the chains and been set free.
Psalm 107:10-14 says, "Those who sat in darkness and in the shadow of death, bound in affliction and irons, because they rebelled against the words of God, and despised the councel of the Most High. Therefore He brought down their heart with labor; They fell down, and there was none to help. Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, And He saved them out of their distresses. He brought them out of the darkness and the shadow of death, And broke their chains in pieces."
Application:
I need to be reminded daily that I cannot do things in my own strength and that I desperatly need Him. Today I will write down Psalm 107:10-14 and post it in my cabinet so I can read it everyday and have the constant reminder that I need Him and His strength and to never turn back.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment